Cotton Candy Banned In Puducherry, Here’s The Reason


Curated By: Aditi Ray Chowdhury

Last Updated: February 11, 2024, 18:54 IST

Puducherry (Pondicherry), India

In the clip, the governor said, “It has been found that a toxic substance named ‘Rhodamine B' is being used in the cotton candies that are consumed by children and others in Puducherry.”
(Image: AP)

In the clip, the governor said, “It has been found that a toxic substance named ‘Rhodamine B’ is being used in the cotton candies that are consumed by children and others in Puducherry.”
(Image: AP)

However, sellers who have a quality certificate from the food safety department can continue to sell cotton candy

The Puducherry government on Thursday banned the sale of cotton candy after the usage of toxic chemicals in its making was found by officials.

The announcement was made by Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Tamilisai Soundararajan after she shared a video on her official Instagram handle, requesting people  to not purchase cotton candy for children as the toxic substances present in it might take a toll on their physical health.

According to India Today, sellers who have a quality certificate from the food safety department can continue to sell cotton candy.

In the clip, the governor said, “It has been found that a toxic substance named ‘Rhodamine B’ is being used in the cotton candies that are consumed by children and others in Puducherry.”

Government officials have been instructed to inspect the shops selling cotton candies and on finding the presence of the toxic substance in them, the have been asked to be seized. “People should be aware that food items having colour additives must not be given to children,” the governor said while requesting the public to make an informed decision.

While sharing the video, Soundararajan said in the caption, “Don’t buy chemical cotton candy for children which affects the health of children…”, and ended with hashtags, “cotton candy”, “panchu mittai” and “Puducherry.”

Rhodamine B, often abbreviated as RhB is a chemical compound that functions as a dye, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH.gov).

The website further mentions that RhB can enter the body when mixed with food and cause oxidative stress on cells and tissues. Infact, the usage of Rhodamine B in food for a long time can also lead to severe health conditions like liver dysfunction or cancer.

When the human body is exposed to large amounts of Rhodamine B over a short period, it can even lead to acute poisoning.



Source link

Leave a Reply