Curated By: Nibandh Vinod
Last Updated: October 31, 2023, 09:07 IST
Karwa Chauth is a Hindu festival celebrated by married women in India and other parts of the world. It is a day when women fast from sunrise to sunset and pray for the long life and well-being of their husbands. The festival is a celebration of love, devotion, and marital bliss. This year it will be celebrated on Wednesday, November 1.
One of the most important rituals of Karwa Chauth is the application of henna, or mehndi. Henna is a natural dye that is applied to the hands and feet of women on Karwa Chauth. The darker the henna stain, the more auspicious it is considered to be. Many women start preparing their henna paste days in advance, using fresh henna leaves and other ingredients to create a rich and vibrant colour.
On the day of Karwa Chauth, women wake up early and apply henna to their hands and feet. They often decorate their hands with intricate designs, such as flowers, paisley patterns, and traditional motifs. The henna is left on for several hours, or even overnight, to allow the stain to develop fully.
Once the henna is removed, women’s hands and feet are left with a beautiful and intricate design. The henna is a symbol of their love and devotion to their husbands, and it is also a way to enhance their beauty on this special day.
TIPS TO MAKE HENNA DARKER OVERNIGHT
- Wash before applyingClean hands make for a darker stain.
- Apply eucalyptus oilEucalyptus oil helps the henna paste to adhere to the skin and darken the stain.
- Let your mehendi dry naturallyAir drying will help the henna to oxidize and darken.
- Invest the hoursThe longer you leave the henna on, the darker the stain will be.
- Smoke itSmoke helps to develop the colour of the henna.
- Lemon and sugarA mixture of lemon juice and sugar can help to darken the henna stain and make it last longer.
- Vicks to the rescueVapoRub contains menthol, which can help to darken the henna stain.
- Stay away from waterAvoid water contact until the henna has completely dried and set.
- No beauty treatmentsAvoid using any harsh chemicals or products on your hands until the henna has faded.
- Apply well in advanceThe earlier you apply the henna, the more time it has to darken.
How long should I keep mehndi on hands?
- 4-6 hours for a light stain
- 6-8 hours for a medium stain
- 8-12 hours for a dark stain
- 12 hours or overnight for a very dark stain
Oops! I have washed my hands! How to darken mehndi after washing now?
- Apply a mixture of lemon juice and sugar to the mehndi stain.
- Apply VapoRub to the mehndi stain.
- Smoke your hands over cloves or incense.
- Apply a layer of mustard oil to the mehndi stain.
Does lemon and sugar really work in darkening the colour of henna?
Yes, lemon and sugar are acidic and help to oxidize the henna stain, making it darker.
How can I remove Mehendi from hand?
- Scrub your hands with soap and water.
- Apply a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice to your hands and scrub gently.
- Apply a mixture of toothpaste and water to your hands and scrub gently.
- Soak your hands in warm water and vinegar for 15-20 minutes.